Vacature EHS Manager - EMEA (vervuld)
Due to an internal career switch of the current Manager, there is a vacancy for a Regional EHS Manager in EMEA, who will be hierarchical responsible for the EHS staff supporting manufacturing and laboratory operations in the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Germany and England. The position is also responsible for EHS program implementation related to the company’s chemical management services at customer locations within EMEA. This role will be based at our EMEA headquarters in Uithoorn, Netherlands and will oversee the EHS needs for multiple sites in the EMEA region covering more than 1000 employees.
The Regional EHS Manager position has the potential to have a big impact on and will work closely with senior leadership. The mission of this position is deploy, implement and lead the environmental, health and safety (EHS) programs within the organization’s EMEA operations, covering manufacturing, chemical management operations, laboratories and offices in alignment with the overall corporate EHS strategy and policies.
The Regional EHS manager serves as the lead EHS expert within the region responsible for assisting company’s regional operations staff to ensure that the appropriate EHS programs and associated management systems are in place and are effective in achieving the desired EHS performance, including compliance with regulations and appropriate industry standards.
The most important accountabilities for this role will be:
- Serve as a leader and change agent working closely with regional management and operational personnel to drive continual and sustainable improvement across the EHS disciplines by increasing employee safe behaviours and reducing unsafe conditions within the EMEA organisation (including operations, laboratories, off-site chemical management services, offices, etc.);
- Improve the execution and effectiveness of EHS programs and processes (both corporate and regional) within EMEA to meet performance metrics established by the organization. Maintain in-depth knowledge of the EHS programs and provide guidance as to how the requirements may be met taking into account local and/or geographical differences;
- Working closely with regional Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Coordinators, promote sustainability programs and initiatives that reduce the company’s environmental footprint (electricity, water, waste and emissions.)
- Maintain certification against latest ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 norms and multi-site certifications (working with QA Group) including planning, coordination and execution of the internal audits (working with Operations and QA) to ensure full and continuous compliance;
- Compile regular reports on EMEA’s EHS performance, including incident trending and injury and near miss reporting. Work closely with Corporate EHS and regional management teams to develop and track appropriate EHS performance metrics and provide feedback on incident investigations/root cause analysis results.
- Assist the Corporate Safety Manager, HR department and external compensation insurance firms to effectively identify and manage work related compensation claims and return to work programs;
- Serve as a resource for EHS training requirements. Works closely with the Corporate Safety Manager to implement the company’s EHS on-line training system(s) and associated training materials as appropriate. Work with management and operations personnel to ensure training information is kept up-to-date and meets regulatory requirements;
- Provides oversight and/or assist regional EHS and operational personnel in the performance of various types of assessments;
- Works closely with the Corporate Safety Manager, Corporate Engineering, Site Operations and external insurance firm to effectively identify and manage loss prevention issues. Also work closely with Corporate Engineering and Site Operations regarding the design and execution of capital projects.
- Supervise EHS consultants and contractors hired to perform EHS services such as industrial hygiene testing, fit testing, ventilation systems testing, etc. Analyses and interprets data and reports and makes recommendations.
- Manage the EMEA EHS budget
The Regional EHS Manager - EMEA will report directly to the Global VP Environment, Health and Safety. The position will supervise a staff of 11 EHS professionals (5 direct and 6 indirect reports). It is anticipated that the position will require travel (approximately 25 - 30%). A higher level may be required initially as a part of the on-boarding process.
For this position we would like to get in touch with candidates who hold at least a BS degree in an EHS degree program or equivalent. The right candidate must be proficient in environmental, health and safety regulations and applicable industry standards within EMEA.
Further candidate qualifications:
- Experience in the environmental, health and safety discipline with of at least 7 - 10 years working in a manufacturing environment with a strong focus on safety. Experience in the specialty chemical or chemical industry preferred;
- Experience in a regional or multi facility EHS support role with increase supervisory experience (at least 3 - 5 years);
- Demonstrate professional maturity and ability to act as a change leader by influencing all levels of the organization to identify EHS risks and liabilities and drive continuous improvement in EHS performance including taking appropriate actions.
- Proficient in developing and implementing programs and policies at facilities where none previously existed. Must be successful in creating and promoting a collaborative team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrate a strong collaborative, proactive and creative problem-solving ability. Good program and project management skills;
- Display solid interpersonal and verbal/written skills with the ability to build trust with staff and employees at all levels of the organization;
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills in order to evaluate facility awareness and safe behaviours. Ability to conduct effective risk assessments with the ability to recognize and verify effectiveness of control measures. Must be able to evaluate performance metrics and establish the necessary plans to drive continuous improvement;
- Ability to effectively present complex issues to senior level managers;
- Ability to negotiate with various regulatory agencies;
- Ability to manage remote staff;
- Maintain confidentiality;
- Make independent decisions;
- Handle multiple priorities and meet critical deadlines.
Our client is a worldwide developer and producer of specialty chemical products and a provider of chemical management services for manufacturers around the globe. The company is stock listed and has a long track record of financial consistency and strength.
The principal industries our client serves throughout the world are automotive, steel finishing, heavy equipment, aerospace, tube and pipe and bearing manufacturing. Next to this, they also serve other industries involved in making products from metal which require machining and grinding, rolling and forming and associated cleaning and corrosion prevention processes.
As a global, knowledge-based industry leader, the company provides services, technology, equipment, and product resources to all kind of customers in every major manufacturing country in the world. Our client has several locations in North & South America, Europe and Asia-Pacific.
Working at our client means working in an environment where people are stimulated and enabled to reach their goals. Ambitious and driven individuals will find challenges in their job, trainings, formal and informal leadership development and structural educational opportunities. Furthermore, our client offers a competitive compensation and benefits program.
The EMEA head office is located in Uithoorn. At short term, there is a vacancy in the organisation for a Regional EHS Manager - EMEA