Head of OPerations Business Support
Functie omschrijving Head of OPerations Business Support
• ensure appropriate planning, coordination, management and successful delivery of a range of complex, multi-stakeholder projects at the strategic-operational interface; and
• support our client’s stakeholders in putting in place, documenting, optimising, implementing and managing appropriate organisational processes – including core grantmaking processes as well as supporting-function processes (such as IT, HR, Finance, Communications…).
Reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer, the Head of Operations Business Support leads the Business Support function. This includes managing the (small) Operations Business Support team; providing direction and day-to-day supervision on the team’s full scope of the work; and (as a significant portion of the role) carrying out him/herself specific projects and ongoing process-support activities.
• Manage, support, motivate and develop the Operations Business Support team members (who are seasoned project or process managers);
• Identify, scope/assess and secure senior agreement on the projects and ongoing process-support activities to include in the remit of Business Support; actively plan and manage team capacity to meet priorities and deadlines;
• Lead and contribute to specific projects or ongoing process-support activities him/herself (significant portion of the role);
• Ensure solid planning, and successful end-to-end execution of the projects entrusted to the team, including by making sure that:
o Robust plans are developed and updated,
o Business Support works across teams to gather information, obtain collaboration and buy-in, enable progress/decisions, and identify and solve issues,
o High-value analyses are conducted to generate insights, design and assess options, determine optimal solutions and develop implementation recommendations,
o Progress is regularly monitored and reported upon, and
o Project implementation is planned for and successful;
o Oversee the successful delivery of ongoing process-support activities, including by ensuring that key processes are well-designed and documented, have designated owners and accompanying policies, guidelines and controls in place, operate effectively, and are regularly monitored;
o Maintain productive, collaborative working relationships with other teams and departments, including regional offices;
o Embed a culture of information sharing, action/results orientation, and continuous improvement; and
o Contribute to Operations as a member of its management team (comprised of the COO and team heads).
Functie eisen Head of OPerations Business Support
Experience and requirements
• Minimum of 10 years’ professional experience
• Demonstrated experience in developing and leading high-performing teams;
• Experience in overseeing/guiding the successful delivery of a portfolio of projects or process-support activities
• Significant experience in project management/delivery and process design/improvement, and the related stakeholder management
• Solid experience of management and operational issues
• Budget and workplan development/monitoring experience
• Management consulting or process consulting experience a plus
• Non-profit or international-development experience a plus, especially experience with grantmaking or grant management.
Skills and competencies
• Teamwork and people/team leadership, management and development
• Superior collaborative, relationship and influencing skills with a broad set of stakeholders
• Excellent problem-solving / analytical skills
• Proven prioritization, planning, project- and process-management skills
• Driven, organised, results-oriented; able to prioritise, work under pressure and multi-task
• Positive, can-do, pragmatic, flexible attitude; sense of humour; strong judgement
• Excellent English writing and oral communication skills
• Advanced computer skills, including Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, etc.).
Our client has 13 offices around the world. The head office is located in Amsterdam.
At short notice there is a vacancy at the head office in Amsterdam for a Head of Operations Business support